Sunday, July 3, 2011

The week that was...

I've had an awesome week of learning and inspiration this week. On Thursday I handed my ethics proposal in. The title of my project is:
"ICT and Parent Engagement: To what extent can the internet be used to enhance learning partnerships between home and school?"
I'm going to investigate whether having parents engaged in their children's writing (through the blog and feedback given) can enhance student achievement in writing. A big topic but it is confined to 10 weeks (term 3) so we'll see how we get on! Next week our leadership team is going to Nelson to visit Victory School - well known for the awesome work they have done on building links between the school and the community. It will be great to have a three-day team "meeting" without the bell or other interruptions!

On Thursday afternoon I joined in with the wonderful eTeach group at Anne's school. It was so inspiring to chat with people who are passionate about elearning and I came away with lots of ideas. I also came away having made the decision that I NEED an iPad! It is now on order and I am eagerly anticipating it's arrival!

I am trying to immerse myself in Twitter and make it at least a daily habit (like checking Facebook!) I can definitely see that it is great for making contact with and learning from other like-minded people. I'm still working out the finer details (retweets, hashtags etc).

3 comments:

  1. When are you coming to Nelson? I am very interested in your ethics proposal. Maybe we could meet up and discuss.

    AllanahK

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a great explainer of twitter hashtags here.

    A retweet is simply when a user decides to send a tweet they like to their followers. So if I decide one of your tweets is awesome, I'll rebroadcast it to my 300 something followers on twitter. Likewise if you see something awesome of mine you might decide to retweet it to your followers. It's a way of disseminating your ideas and its amazing how far and wide a good tweet can go.

    Speaking of tweeting you might want to sign up to twitterfeed so you will automatically send our a tweet when you put up a new blogpost. You might also sign up to have it put on facebook as well.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie

    Thanks for your comments. Twitter is definitely becoming part of the my daily 'must do's'!
    Twitterfeed sounds like a good way of sending a tweet automatically. Up until now I have done it manually but will definitely look into that.
    The key thing I guess is to keep up with the blog posts - sometimes hard to find the time!

    Janine

    ReplyDelete